|Knock, Mayo Ireland|
||The Story of Knock began on the 21st August 1879 when Our
Lady, St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist appeared at the south gable
of Knock Parish Church in a blaze of heavenly light.. The apparition also
showed an altar and upon it a lamb. It was witnessed by fifteen people,
young and old. From this miraculous occurrence Knock has grown to the status
of an internationally recognised Marian Shrine.
A Diocesan Commission accepted the evidence as “trustworthy and satisfactory”. Many privileges have been granted by the Holy See and Knock in County Mayo, Ireland is recognised as one of the great Marian shrines.
Over a million pilgrims and individuals come to the shrine annually from all over the world, including his holiness Pope John Paul II who visited the shrine during its centerary year celebrations.
The first photo shows the gable wall of the old chuch where the apparition took place. It has been incorporated into a new chapel of Adoration. The Old Church still stands and is in use daily for Mass and devotions. The second photo shows the new chapel of Adoration built onto the wall of the old church.